Suitcase on wheels     stuck in the snow   sniffer dog

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

77. Chicas (Bariloche, Argentina)

Myth number 27 about Argentina:
Argentina has the most beautiful girls in the world.

Actually, I don't think that even counts as a myth. I'd never heard that before I came here, and I don't think many Argentinians would claim it was true. I think maybe a mechanic or waiter told me that "fact" after I'd been here a month, and it stuck with me. Update: Or maybe I heard it through the mainstream media.

What I did hear before I came here, from various sources (mostly online and mostly tourists), was that Argentine women are the most beautiful in South America. And when I arrived and checked into a hostel, a lot of the gringo guys were going on about how hot Argentine girls were. Yet I wasn't seeing it at all. I'd just spent the last year and a half living in Sydney, which is full of beautiful people of all colours and sizes. As well as classic natural blonde suntanned look, there's plenty of other interesting racial combinations and complexions thrown in. And not to mention a neverending supply of European backpackers hanging out on the beaches. So in those early days I'd wander around Buenos Aires and not see anything exciting. All the girls looked identical - short, skinny, pale skin, dark hair, dark eyes dark or blue eyes (I've actually realised there's a lot of blue eyes around that I hadn't noticed earlier). There was some variation, but almost always from the hair dye bottle.

After a couple of weeks I'd gotten used to the homogenous Argentine look, and the pretty girls started to stick out from crowd. But it took some getting used to. I think a lot of the guys in the hostels who were raving about Argentine beauties had just arrived from a few months on the road in Peru and Bolivia, where the people have more indigenous blood. They probably hadn't had any action for a few months.

The girls here do look after themselves. On just about every block there'll be a waxing and nails joint, as well as numerous peluquerías (hair salons). They eat little in order to try stay slim. My girlfriend, a waitress, would often be amazed at the quantity of food foreign girls would order for lunch. They are quite girly too - I've never seen a girl (or a guy either) walking down the street here in bare feet (que sucio!). Or a girl in her pajamas buying milk on a Sunday morning - both of which I saw when I went back to NZ. Daytime TV is full of ads for the latest slimming cream or anti-cellulite massage treatment (whatever). I mentioned in my last post how plastic surgery is popular in Buenos Aires. It all adds up - the girls here are slim, but homogenous.

Last month we saw Miss Universe 2006 on TV. Of the final ten contestants, five were from Latin America (Bolivia(!), Colombia, Mexico, Paraguay, Puerto Rico) and only one was from Europe (Switzerland). So either there's something in the genes down here that makes people good looking, or there's more of a beauty industry that makes beauty contestant a viable career path. Maybe a bit of both.

So, what's the typical Argentinan girl look like? Let's check out the stars of El Tiempo No Para, a homegrown nightly soap opera. To me, the girls in that show are typical Argentine girls. I don't think any of them are particularly hot. Hmm... the only thing pics I can find are the press photos which are heavily photoshopped, but anyway.

Belén Blanco Sofía Castiaglone
Belen Blanco and Sofía Castiaglone

Dolores Fonzi Valentina Bassi
Dolores Fonzi and Valentina Bassi

One thing Argentina has no shortage of is the model/wannabe actress. Many aspire to be a vedette, a star in a stage musical. The vedette will usually dance and sing as part of the show, always wearing as little clothing as possible. From vedette they might land a TV gig, often through ridiculous Benny Hill-like comedy shows (latest version: Canal 9's nightly Palermo Hollywood Hotel), where the only requirement is to smile and show cleavage.

Here's some pics of other famous Argentine models. As you can see, many subscribe to the bleach blonde, fake tits look imported from Baywatch, and are very atypical of what Argentine girls naturally look like. Thanks to Hombre Magazine for the pics.

jessica cirio karina jelinek
Jessica Cirico and Karina Jelinek

luciana salazar
Luciana Salazar

nicole neumann sabrina rojas
Nicole Neumann and Sabrina Rojas

Myth number 28:
Latin girls are just hanging out for gringo guys

I don't know where I got this myth from. Maybe it was from the same sources as the last myth. Maybe movies. Maybe locker room talk in backpacker hostels. Whatever the case, my girlfriend tells me that Argentine girls aren't any more interested in an unknown foreign guy than an unknown local guy. The fact that you're a rubio (blond) guy in a land of morrochos (dark-hairs) doesn't mean anything here. Argentine girls are NOT looking for a "ticket to the first world"!

So, how does one pull an Argentine girl? Well, I'm no expert but every now and then an excited reader about to arrive in BA writes me and asks just that. Firstly, girls in clubs tend to be quite picky and hard to approach, which I blame on the ridiculously tactless behaviour of many Argentine guys. As many a foreign girl finds out on her first venture to a club, an Argentine guy's pick-up lines will often consist of just grabbing a girl who happens to look his way, and try to shove his tongue down her throat. Thus girls often won't even make eye-contact in clubs for fear of being accosted. Argentines girls (and guys) don't drink a lot either, so waiting for them to get drunk and desperate isn't such an option. Still, you can offer to buy them a drink and use that to start a conversation. Maybe she'll find your attempts at Spanish endearing. Maybe she'll find it annoying. Maybe she'll speak English. Either way, keep the conversation going and have fun. If there's chemistry and you're still talking to her half an hour later you're being a gentleman by Argentine standards - most Argentine guys would attempt to kiss the girl within the first 5 minutes, so now's the time to make your move. If you wait much longer she'll probably think you're not interested, or gay, and she'll move on. If all goes to plan you'll probably end up spending the rest of the night making out very publicly in the club. Don't get excited though - the one-night-stand isn't so common here. Even if you do pull a girl at a club and pass a couple of hours kissing her, you may only end up getting her phone number. She's just as likely to not give it despite a couple of hours of PDA tonsil-hockey. If you get lucky and get the number, you'll still have to call her up and make another date and take it from there. If you don't get the number it means she didn't like you that much - or maybe she has a boyfriend. The one-night-stand does happen, but it depends on the girl. The group of girls out celebrating something and having a good time on a big night out make for a better target than the lone girl standing on the dancefloor with her arms crossed.

Anyway, pulling in the club is hard work. You're likely to have more luck in your hostel, or on the street playing the lost tourist asking for directions. Many guys who come here don't have much luck with Argentinian girls at all, and will only manage to hook up with foreign girls in their hostel. Being able to speak some Spanish helps a lot.

While writing this post I asked my Argentinian friends what they think of foreign guys, and what do they look for in a man. Most of the foreign guys they see (in the street etc) they don't find attractive. They say that extranjeros (foreign guys) often have uninteresting faces, and that they wander around in tourist mode looking carefree, and a little lost. What they want in a man, is firstly a caballero (a gentleman). Becoming a caballero has been a learning curve for me, as I admit I wasn't one. The part I most wasn't used to was paying for everything when we went out. If you're travelling on a tight budget going out with a local girl is a sure-fire way to blow it. And asking her to pay for anything is a sure-fire way to blow it with her.

Secondly, they want a cojedor (a shagger). The guy has to have a look on his face that says he wants to rip her clothes off any minute. Every minute. So the play it cool, act a little uninterested strategy won't work. Here she'll think you are uninterested.

Reader's question:
I am a guy from Holland and I HAD a Argentinean girlfriend for 4,5 months, until she broken up with me almost 2 weeks ago. I am a bit desperate to get her back, so I am just asking for any tips you (or possibly even better: your Argentinean girlfriend) can give me...?
Dave
Well Dave, it's a little hard to offer any advice without knowing you, or your girlfriend, or why she dumped you. If you can combine the 2 Cs of caballero and cojedor you won't have any trouble with the girls.

So, what about my female readers out there. What's the deal with Argentinian guys? The two Argentine galáns (hunks) of the moment, according to my girlfriend, are Pablo Echarri and Facundo Arana. Man, this is getting tiring searching for all these pics. Facundo's been the easiest since he has his own fansite.

facundo arana2 facundo arana3
Facundo Arana

pablo echarri pablo echarri2
Pablo Echarri

As for dating Argentine men, well I'll leave that up to Deby over at TangoSpam to explain it.

30 Comments:

  • Very Interesting. I think that ALL girls want a man who is a gentleman and a shagger to some degree. Women want to be treated with respect and they want to be wanted.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:32 pm  

  • My friend -

    Looks like you're getting angrier by the post with your adopted country. I think things will get better in time though...hopefully before the boiling point is reached.

    About the Miss Universe pageant - a farce if there ever was one. Beautiful, yes, but "Miss Bolivia" was paler than my Yanqui-Eastern European tundra butt; forgive me if I come off as Hugo Chavez, but this is hardly an accurate representation of the country with highest percentage of pure idigenous blood in all of Latin America. The same goes for "Miss Paraguay," which is about 95 % mixed European and indigenous.

    Well put with your analysis of courting rituals in Argentina...on occasion I'd find myself actually listening to my friends' "advice" (highlights include saying that I'm an "independent filmmaker,"..."when they say NO they really mean YES," etc.), and then immediately berate myself for permitting my tactics to temporarily devolve into those utilized by guys with polyester leisure suits and large gold chains that hang prominently around their necks, swathed in chest hair. At least that's how I felt.

    Being a passive, tranquilo dude looking for a chat will often get you nowhere...though often expending a whole lot of energy (and money on drinks) will get you as far as expending very little, perhaps explaining the very high occurence of visiting prostitutes among local men.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:33 pm  

  • Amen! Another quality, insightful post! I am also at a loss at to where all the Argentinian hotties are. Also, what's the deal with the lack of breast-age here in Argentina? Damn, I would maim for a couple of good handfuls...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:21 am  

  • OHMIGAWD-Dios Mio! I am on your blog...God, my opinions of Argentine men are going around the world. Who knows, maybe they will learn something from it...

    By Blogger Deby N., at 4:02 am  

  • Hi Matty,

    I'm an Argie expat living in North America since '89. As a woman, I'd like to say that you are right about "Argentina has the most beautiful women in the world" = myth. That phrase must've been coined by an Argie (or by a Bolivian ;).

    Argie women are extremely self conscious, very clean, fashion slaves, paranoid about looks/fat/cellulite/having a beautiful ass/straight hair and a small nose.

    They would kill for a pair of blue or green eyes though they'll die before admitting it.

    BTW, I followed the link to Deby's post. Well, I think that if you're in your 50s and "serial dating," something isn't quite right with you, woman!

    Yeah, Argie men may be a bunch of morons, but you won't find an Argie woman who has had the "he asked to used the bathroom and came out completely naked on our first date!!!" experience. That's an Argie-macho-met-American-hot-chick gig. What they see in the movies. Monkey see monkey do.

    And, yes, dear, if a guy you just met asks you to spend the afternoon on his boat, sex is definitely on the menu and he figures you are OK with that.

    Also, why is it that the gringas won't do some auto criticism? I mean, c'mon women, any man would rather have sex with a Latin woman. And they also know how to run a house and bring up a family. Anyway...

    Matty, I've got a question for you: If you had seen the opportunity to open the exact same business in your country, would you have gone about it exactly the same way you did in Argentina? You know, buy first the van, then get the permits, then get the professional license, then find out the permit isn't good for what you wanted to do, etc.?

    BFN

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:03 am  

  • hey matty


    A very good blog about buenos aires culture.

    From my experience it seems that people spend a lot of time and money on the latest fashion labels and plastic surgery and forget about developing their inner beauty and cultivating good manners.

    I heard a saying about portenos once that i feel rings true .

    A porteno is like the casa rosado beautiful from the front but when you inspect it closely its falling apart.

    By Blogger greekinargentina, at 1:33 pm  

  • u would be a good vedette, maybe youll have better luck

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:18 pm  

  • Hi Matt!
    Another nice article on your weblog! Thanks for your entertaining thoughts, although in this case they were not very helpful for me. Just for completeness I will include a more complete version of the story of my breakup. I am also very curious what your girlfriend has to say about it:

    My Argentinean girlfriend of 4,5 months broke up with me just 3 weeks ago. When I met her we were amazingly in love and she send my text messages with many "Te Amo"s and claiming I was the love of her life, this all until about 5 weeks ago. When we had 4 months she wrote me a small note saying I changed her life and if I would please stay with her forever and we were talking a lot about living together. I was working on this by trying to find an acceptable apartment at an acceptable price (mission impossible, I need not explain) and starting my own English school, which is running quite well after just 2 months. Also I was learning Spanish and I tried to be with her as much as I (and she) could. Then 4 weeks ago she didn't want to meet me after her work one night (like we had done since she started that job 2 weeks before, as her work is near my hostel and she prefers sleeping with me instead of taking a 1 hour busride back to her house in the middle of the night), claiming she was tired and busy. Then next night the same, but with the added message she was "thinking" about our relation. After a week waiting she wanted to talk to me, but she wanted to meet in a bar and broke up immediately. I talked her around and after 3 hours of more talking we were together again and stayed the night together, but the next day she send my a TXT message that she really wanted to end and she never came back on this decision. She claimes she needs time alone, wants to have more experience before having a serious relation and that she just doesn't like me anymore. Fair enough, but knowing how desperately she always wanted to be with me, be serious about us and how she showed she really loved me, the whole first 4 months we were being together, I find all this very hard to believe. I cannot believe someone can have her emotions changed so drastically in just 2 weeks time... I think she might just be very afraid that I am going to leave her one day.
    Well, I have heard that Argentinean women are passionate (definitely true with love!), also in decisionmaking. Furthermore they can be hysteric and maybe a bit unreliable. So, this is my experience so far with Argentinean women, very sweet (because I had the best love ever with her), but with a unexpected, bitter ending. After she broke up with me, I realised that I love her a lot more than I thought, that I also have made some mistakes (like not showing her enough how much I loved her and complaining about my life in Argentina and having backup plans in the back of my mind) and that I want her back. I am just not sure if and how I can get her back (having no other experience with (Argentinean) women on this subject, until now I broke up), so any tips on this are very, very welcome! My tactic until now is just to wait a few weeks (4-6-8?) and in the meantime get more serious about my life here, so that she can see I am serious about staying in Argentina for her.

    Matt wrote me: "If you can combine the 2 Cs of caballero and cojedor you won't have any trouble with the girls." I don´t think I will have a lot of trouble finding someone else, I have already had a thing with a Chilean girl for a week, but it is just not the same as with the Argentinean one, I seem to only want her.

    Ok, any comment welcome! Gracias! Chau!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:08 am  

  • Yes it is entirely true about men trying to stick their tongues down your throat in the night clubs within 5 seconds of meeting you.
    And so far they aren´t that great in bed, 4 out of 5 had small dicks! Oral sex forget about receiving it, ladies.
    Sweet as friends, but pretty much all cheat on their girlfriends, and everyone seems to 'date' within the circle of friends.
    That said they are very courteous and charming and a pleasure to be around.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:12 am  

  • I am a peruvian women and I would like to say that argentine women are false and materialistic .

    All they care about is money and having affairs with rich men.

    The most beautiful women of latin america are columbian who have the best combination of races and also the most beautiful way of speaking.

    Portenas speak a terrible shrill form of spanish and smoke like chimneys

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:36 am  

  • I'm a big fan of your posts, and I think this is another great piece of info about Argentine women.

    I'm glad you posted about the topic, because like a lot of single men, I had the exact same questions regarding Argentine women. I have to admit, though, that I am a little disappointed. I have traveled to Mexico, and the latinas have always been very receptive to foreigners. Perhaps, the Argentine women should give some of the men a break. They may find someone great.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:54 pm  

  • "And so far they aren´t that great in bed, 4 out of 5 had small dicks! Oral sex forget about receiving it, ladies."

    ...golly gee, how ever could Argentine men hold those errant hyper-sexed views towards foreign girls?

    Also - I actually do find Argentine girls incredibly beautiful...but I think it all comes down to a matter of taste. Personally the bleached-blonde quasi-trashy look that's au courant in much of the U.S. (and T.V.) isn't my bag, baby. I'm a sucker for a more mediterranen look, so I was in hog heaven in Argentina. Also I don't particularly enjoy harping on this because it annoys me when the only good things foreigners have to say about Argentina are about the women - there's good beef too (nyuk, nyuk)...but following the previous poster's comment I couldn't possibly be any sleazier, so I'll just say it: if you doubt the attractiveness of the Argentine woman, look no further than Cordoba...never in my life have I seen so many beautiful women, Miami, Spain, Italy included. My 2 dos centavos. Though, having just arrived back in the U.S., I can attest that we're not exactly lacking in our quantity of hermosas.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:03 am  

  • Hey! Another great post and I agree with so much. My tip: Picking up (or pulling) a girl on the street or in a club is pointless in my opinion. The way to meet girls is through their friends. You also have to give them a reason to see you again or... you won't see them again.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:06 am  

  • Hmmm I guess I've been to different places... I found the girls to have that sexy Mediteranian appeal. The same you might find in Spain, southern France, Italy or Greece. Afterall it is mostly Italians and Spainish with some German flair. The thing that caught my eye was the abundance of brown haired blue-eyed girls. Oh and the fact the girls pay attention to their looks is something that I think is nice. Especially after being in NYC for so long and seeing the PJ and joggy suit look for so long...

    FYI BA girls are a bit stand offish and superficial, I found the interior girls more friendly and down to earth, especially in Cordoba.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:06 am  

  • Argentinian women are generally beautiful, the only problem is that they have deep seated issues....anyone who knows Argentina will tell you that around every corner is a psychologist. They suffer from eating disorders and insecurities beyond the norm. There is too much emphasis on looks and not enough on personality. Even my beautiful and sophisticated friend from Milan visited Argentina and said it was ridiculous how they were trying to be so European in BA. She laughed about it and said there is no identity and the men were just as bad because they have been so bombarded by their crazy girl friends that they have gone nuts too. Good luck to anyone who chooses an Argie, they are a handful.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:10 am  

  • Hi, i'm from Argentina
    I don't understand something.
    You are saying that only blondes with blue/green eyes are hot???
    Well, the swedish girls or from one of those countries might be prettier than argentinians girls, but something good about argentinians women is that if you are going walking down the street (maybe not in BS AS, because girls there got worse since the border inmigration started), you can see a typicial "morocha argentina" with light brown skin and eyes extremely sexy (like our topmodel pampita) or a german-argentinean girl , blonde with blue eyes (like another argentinean model nicole neumann)So, there's a lot hot girls here with indigenous blood, you don't see that often in the world, the same happens in Brazil

    And refering to their character the argentinians ladies are very materialistic, and they really live to look good, and they are very "histericas"
    But, honestly I couldn't love them more
    I tell you, I've already been in Germany, France, Spain and Netherlands, and girl from there (excepting a couple of germans and NL) are not so pretty, they are really crude

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:40 pm  

  • Hi Mr Anonymous from Argentina,

    No I certainly wasn't saying that only blondes with green or blue eyes are hot. What I did say was that in Argentina nearly ALL the girls have the same brown hair brown eyes look and that there's very little variety, compared to most other countries.

    -Matt

    By Blogger mattyboy, at 4:02 pm  

  • No man, u r wrong.
    Undoubtedly u got a very deep problem that affects your brain or perhaps your dick, but I don't support what u say about argentine ladies.
    You talked about australian girls?
    Tell me about this.
    From my view these latinas ladies are far more sophisticated, feminine and tasty than the chubby, mild, bleached and unrefined women often seen in aussie lands.
    Regards,

    Pat.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:05 pm  

  • Matt,

    My friend just showed me your blog. I really liked what you said about the difference between the porteños and the people from the intertior. The animosity is palpable and almost worse than that which is shared between Argentines and Chileans.

    I've been in Buenos Aires since August and before that I spent almost five months in Mendoza. I loved the tranquility that the smaller towns offered and I've found success with women was easier to come by in the interior as well. It is true though that, as we would say in the States, one's 'game,' does have to be altered according to the rules down here. Whether it be the Interior OR la Capital.

    That said, a backpacker, or even someone living here for more than a few weeks, could have a great time acting like an Argintine in a club. Its something we would never think about doing in the Anglo - Saxon culture; grabbing a girl and kissing her without the standard 15-20 minute chat. So why not take advantage of the little time one has down here and try it out? The girls are used to it and might not be as offended as one might think.

    I've come up with an analogy that I use to explain some typical feminine pub and club behavior to my Argetine friends and friends from the States as well.

    Kissing a girl in an Argentine night club is like shaking somebody's hand back home. However, in the States a kiss (let alone a two hour make out session), especially if more than one of the participants is drunk (usually the case), will typically lead to something bigger and in a quicker fashion. Securing numbers is not always necessary and often times avoided.

    However, rare is the time you will find an Argentine woman grinding her butt up and down the leg of a man - be he Argentine or foreign. And as a current state college student and fraternity brother, I feel qualified saying that this is exactly what you find in clubs in the US. A couple can go on dancing like this all night long and the girl might still walk away telling her friends how much of a creep the guy was while he returns to his pack of buddies asking them to 'help' him home because he's too drunk and 'didn't even see what she looked like.'

    Basically, after nine months down here, I've found that the different rules of each still require a level of basic charm.

    One thing I'd also like to point out here is that the agressive nature of Argentine men is probably why 95% of the women down here have boyfriends. But that's not to say the 95% of the women down here may not be looking for someone else.

    I'm happy with my election of Argentina as my year long study abraod country, and I could honestly see myself with an Argentine women in the future, but right now I'm looking forward to some fun loving, hard drinking girls back home.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:35 pm  

  • Hello,
    Well I loved your comments about argentinian girls. I had an argentinian girlfriend for 2 years, I spent some time in Argentina, and I always tried to understand how they think without a real success. your analysis seems very logical. I also agree about the level of beauty of argentinian girls. I live in Paris, and I think french girls are much prettier on average, but it is hard to convince portenas about it!! Well the advantage of the argentinian girls is their charm and their warmth. When i compare them to relatively cold european girls, their charm becomes evident!
    Anyway I love Argentina and I hope one day I will go and spend a looooong vacation there!
    cheers

    By Blogger danoliv, at 11:48 pm  

  • Well everything you describe here happened to me, and I thought it was because of something wrong I am doing! Thanks for this blog entry, at least I will not be surprised by their behavior next time I go to Argentina (still I love their company, they are really fun and nice to be with!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:25 am  

  • I'm an argentinean girl, amazed on how many comments such a subject could get. I think looking for a unique definition on how argies are/look is useless or rather difficult. But for sure I'm having fun reading how much love/hate we arouse!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:04 am  

  • good post, i can agree on most of the points. i've moved to bsas 4 months ago and am planning to stay here for at least 5-6 years to study. i'd like comment a few things about this.
    first of all i have to agree about the fact that argentina having the most bautiful girls in the world is just a myth. that's not the reason i came here, but of course you keep your eyes open and expect to see something pleasing every now and then, or even more often than in other countries. But I have to agree with you, there’s not this huge melting pot of races and features and every kind of incredible mixtures I had heard so much about. It’s actually very plain, just as you described. I don’t know how this myth originated, but the strange thing is that I keep hearing it more from Argentinean women than anyone else. You might meet a bluntly unattractive girl acting like she is miss universe and putting to your face that “Argentinean girls are the most beautiful girls in the world”. therefore: “I am Argentinean = I am one of the most beautiful girls in the world (… and you better recognize it, and if you don’t you’re either gay or dumb)”.
    On the other hand I have never experienced a country with such a radical distinction of the male and female roles. A woman doesn’t just have to be one… she has to act like one even more. And the same thing for men. I think tango is a good expression of that. I had quite a lot of arguments here about what being a man or a woman actually means, and had to realize that here there is a very sexual perception of oneself and others. If you put this together with what I’ve written before, it makes sense to me what happens in clubs or other “encounter” spots. The first connection between men and women is played on a sexual level – not intended as sexual intercourse, but merely the clashing of male/macho vs. female. It could be that this drive is what has as a result that women in Argentina feel so “wanted” because “…every other guy wants to stick his tongue down my neck within 5 minutes”. And being a man supposedly means or is about liking women, and one has to continuously prove it to oneself and others. And as all men want these women…man…they MUST be special. I personally don’t get it, nor feel the chemistry of this. Despite of everything and taking the risk to get lynched, I have to stand up for Colombia, Colombian people and Colombian women. For their looks, mixtures and sincere attitude that in my eyes didn’t involve as much acting and sticking to stereotypes as here. But i still have a long time to live here and am looking forward to it, because I’m sure I’ll get used to some things and will be able to appreciate others. Greetz -phaidon

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:51 am  

  • Hi,I'm argentinian, speciffically from Rosario, in the province of Santa Fe.
    As regards the beauty of Argetinian girls, I don't know why but girls from Buenos Aires or mendoza (where I couldn't find almost any woman that I would consider great looking )can't be compared wih the ones from Rosario.

    And a fact is, beleave it or not, you can't walk in a pedestrian street(if it's said like this) in down town without crossing at least 4 beauties each block.(and when I say beauties i really mean it).

    And as regards variety you can find brownettes, blonds,almost anything you like.

    And I believe compared with all what I've seen on tv shows, and internet, that regular woman in Rosario are better looking than most of the regular girls form other countries( for example qualifying them here they are a 7 and in ihter countries, not generalizing because I know that there are places that this doesn't apply, they are around a 5).
    Outside the "regular woman", I'm not saying that all of them are models but most of them are "very"
    pretty, and some even gorgious.

    I hope you can come to vissit Rosario sometime and compare by yourself that there are some places, likle Rosario, where women are more beautiful compared to others.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:40 pm  

  • There is one thing I've noticed in particular here, and it may be related to the comment someone left to the effect "if a girl looks at you, its on." But, when walking down the street I've found that if I attempt to make eye contact with a girl she'll look away. But almost always, if I point my head away from her as though I'm looking at something in a storefront window I'll see her staring hard. Seriously, try this out next time you're walking down the street...asuming you're dressed acordingly. The girls here are just as interested in men, but I guess they feel some sense of social pressure not to show it...or maybe when they do the guys pounce on them...which I can see being annoying, especially if you're just trying to go out for some shopping or on your way to school.

    On the whole, I've found the women here to be very approachable and easy to converse with. Though, after two weeks I've never gotten beyond getting an email address and exchanging a few emails. So, will see how it goes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:38 pm  

  • Interesting view point and I think you have just deflated the myth for oh so many people. I live in Rosario, and yes there are beautiful girls here, but there is very little ethnic diversity! I miss the melting pot and do not feel that beautiful is only of European decent. Thanks for mentioning that point.

    Honestly as a "gringa" I am getting very tired of superficial, material girls, and the marketing that goes along with it. Yes, we have it in the States too, but it is over kill here. Argentines have taken the US concept of diet food to another level. If I see another "SER 0" product on TV, I am talking about diet milk, cheese, yogurt, crackers, drinks, etc. I am going to %&#$%. The Coke a Cola Co. is one of the worst down here putting a toxic chemical into it's drinks because it is cheaper. Many products in Argentina contain a chemical called ciclamato de sodio follow link:(http://www.scielo.cl/scielo.php?pid=S0717-95022005000300005&script=sci_arttext) that has been banned by the FDA and is toxic in large amounts. It is so sad to see women poisoning themselves to be/stay beautiful, ie; very skinny. Let's pray that pregnant women do not eat these products!

    Sugar and fat are fine just not in large quantities...and please stop judging a girl by what she eats. There is enough stress in life, let's not destroy the pleasure of eating a nice meal. I've been to dinner here where the men eat tons of beef, bread, salad, but the women pick like little birds, taking a slice of beef, a table spoon of salad and half a glass of wine. Tell me do they eat a "Ser 0" yogurt when they go home?

    By Blogger The belly rules the mind., at 2:45 am  

  • Poor alan clifford, who doesn't think the Mendocinas are among the most beautiful women in the world.

    The first 2 or 3 months I lived here I had a pain in the neck (litterally) from turning my head in the streets.

    Girls from Rosario are also OK, same in Catamarca, Tucuman and Salta, but they don't compare with Mendocinas.

    Also, I don't find i terribly difficult to pair up with an Argentinian girl - at private parties, that is - including one whose third or fourth sentence to me was "You are very athletic", while pushing her cleavage up my nose, or Silvana who asked med "J. when do you like to have sex?" mglup!

    By Blogger John.St, at 8:08 pm  

  • "Being able to speak some Spanish helps a lot." No shit? Unless you've got the looks of Facundo Arena being the 10th gringo of the night to approach a girl and say "hablas English" isn't going to get you that far. Being a gringo who speaks spanish will take you far. Combine that with an approach somewhere between the uber-aggressive Argentines and the timid monoglots and you've now made yourself pretty unique. As with all women, you'll eventually have to step up to the plate and articulate your intentions with confidence.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:44 pm  

  • Poor men from all arround the word, seems like you've been rejected by argentinian girls! Let me tell u one small thing: we argentinian girls want one thing and one thing only, queremos hombres que nos vuelen la cabeza. Insecurity is Not attractive, money does not compare to charm , and a nice body and a cute smile is all it takes. Come on men, blow our minds away! Argentinian men are born with this concept engraved in their heads, and for them is all a smooth game, kind of like truco.Learn from the locals and you will succed.
    And regarding argentinian not being beautiful woman, well you're looking in the wrong place, go to Rosario and walk along Oroño avenue at 6 pm and see it for yourselves. The women you've heard of are here , you just got to know where to find them.
    Saludos y espero que les halla servido de algo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:34 pm  

  • Argentinean lady here! Like any other country, there are many flaws and perks to Argentina. Although generalizing beauty by one country seems a bit hard considering there are so many types of Argentinean women. I for one have brown hair and hazel eyes where as my sister has blue eyes. It is nearly impossible to put all women of Argentina in to one catigory. I love my country and it's beautiful variety of people. (I'm from Rosario)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home